- Bottled by Davis Beverage Group Bethlehem, PA 18017
- The Pitch:
- Original Recipe Lycoming County
- (on back)Pennsylvania Black Bear (Ursus Americanus)
- Pennsylvanian black bears are born during the hibernating period of
the winder. The female bear's 2 or 3 cubs start small (6-12 ounces),
but will weigh 60-100 lbs. by fall. At maturity, they will be approximately
30" at the shoulder and average 140-400 lbs. with some bruisers
reaching 500 to 600 lbs.
- Their shuffling, flatfooted gait should not be mistaken for clumsiness.
They're good tree climbers, swimmers, and can hit 30 m.p.h. when aroused.
Bears have poor eyesight and hearing, but an acute sense of smell.
- Primarily vegetarians, they will, however, eat insects, small animals,
fish and campsite garbage. So keep your camping area an Pennsylvania
- The Ingredients:
- Recipe: Filtered carbonated water, corn sweetener, artificial flavor,
citric acid, and preserved with sodium benzoate.
- The box:
- More freaky clear stuff. Hmmm. Well, going into the glass it looks
like 7-Up. Bubbly, maybe a little foamier than the lemon-lime drink
but the head doesn't last. The first smell that hit me was the dreaded
wintergreen (which must be the artificial variety, judging from the
label...none of those wimpy "natural flavors" for this stuff!).
The drink is, of course, clear. That's not water in the bottle to the
left. That's an unopened bottle of Frozen Run. When I saw this in the
refrigerator at some Qwik-E-Mart in New York I didn't know what to make
of it. I hadn't heard of it, it looks like water, and the label only
reads "Black Bear Mountain Birch". I initially overlooked
it, thinking it was some brand of water with a bull on the label. I
took a chance, grabbed a few, and headed on my way. Unlike the yucky
Snapple Tru, this stuff is pretty tasty. In fact, even though it is
loaded with a flavor I abhor, it's good. There, I said it. It's like
root-7-up. Heavily carbonated, not too sweet, the fake birch beer taste
comes through the mild fake wintergreen. This is actually kind of refreshing.
I'm stunned. This would be good on a hot day. And it's all fake. Ok,
real water and corn syrup, but other than that...better living through
chemistry I guess. B.